Texas Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Lawyer
If you've been hurt or are dealing with the death of a loved one due to someone else's negligence, consider hiring a lawyer who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.
What does “Board Certified” mean?
In Texas, an attorney is able to apply for and obtain board certification in certain areas of the law. This process is strictly monitored and governed by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (“TBLS”). TBLS has established requirements needed for an attorney to gain board certification in each practice area. As of 2019, there are 75,104 attorneys in the State of Texas. Of those, only 1,428 are board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. This means only 2% of all the attorneys licensed in Texas are Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.
What does a lawyer need to do to become Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law in Texas?
To become Board Certified, an attorney must:
- Practice law full-time for at least 5 years as an active member of the State Bar of Texas;
- At least 3 years of Personal Injury Trial Law experience with a yearly minimum 25% substantial involvement with Personal Injury Trial Law matters;
- Tried at least 10 Personal Injury Trial Law cases that met substantive requirements;
- Qualified vetted references from judges and lawyers in the area of law;
- Complete 60 hours of TBLS approved continuing legal education in Personal Injury Trial Law;
- Meet all of the TBLS Standards for Attorney Certification; and
- Pass a comprehensive 6-hour examination Personal Injury Trial Law.
Do I have to have a Board-Certified Lawyer for my Personal Injury case?
No. However, if you hire a lawyer that is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, then you know they have fulfilled the requirements set forth by TBLS, and the attorney has the experience to handle your case.
For more information, you can visit the Texas Board of Legal Specialization's website.
Can I speak to a Board Certified Lawyer at Hernandez Sunosky, LLP?
Yes. Attorney Ian Hernandez is an experienced trial lawyer and is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. He obtained his board certification in 2010. He's ready to speak to you if you've been injured and need help.
Contact Houston Personal Injury Attorney Ian Hernandez at Hernandez Sunosky, LLP at 713.981.4100 today for a free legal consultation.